Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Harrisburg, here I come!

It sounds so anti-climactic doesn't it? I had hoped to be able to write in this week's post how excited I am to be planning my trek to NYC....but alas, I was notified this morning via my trusty email that I had not been 1 of the lucky 38,000 runners chosen to run this year.

The email the NYC Marathon people sent me just kinda sounded like a college rejection letter(not that I have ever received one...but that's the way they always read them-when they read'em aloud-in the movies). It said all the same things: "thank you for your interest blah blah blah"..."sincerely regret to inform you blah blah blah"..."at this time blah blah blah"..."we thank you for your interest blah blah blah"..."good luck in your future endeavors blah blah blah." I immediately began to look around at other marathons around the same time frame. I checked out the OBX Marathon (which is the week after NYC) and while OBX sounds sweet, the course did not look too appealing and the comments I read didn't make it sound like the kind of event I would enjoy.

I remember my original plan (if I didn't make NYC) was to run the Harrisburg Marathon (which is scheduled for 11/11/07)...but honestly, I was just saying that to myself just to be sure I would be running a marathon in November....I didn't really believe it. I actually thought luck would smile and I'd be writing to tell you all of NYC and how awesome it's gonna be. I was wrong. Harrisburg is not exactly what I am looking for in an event.

One of the things that I have found over the past 2 years is that one of my favorite parts of doing this whole marathon thing is the travel. It's a great excuse to go somewhere and experience a new and different place! I love going to new places, staying in hotels, wandering around a new city, eating at new restaurants, bar hopping in the local pubs...I live in Harrisburg, no need to stay in a cool hotel. I've already wandered around Harrisburg many times (many many times). I've already eaten at "The Spot" and "The Jackson House," and I have definitely bar hopped downtown...so there is no hope for a new adventure.......

On the other hand, it would be much less expensive for the exact reasons I stated above (which would be nice). As I think of more perks to running HBG Marathon, the major perk (I think) would be the training. I could do a lot of my running on the course itself. I think that idea alone is VERY tempting. I also can easily adapt to weather here (if you read the post on my first marathon, you'd understand that one). The last reason that running at home would be good would be that all of my friends and family could come see the race! They could make awesome signs, paint their faces, run alongside me (Courtney), see me at multiple points in the race (like later in the race when I'm running on empty), and greet me at the finish (showering me with gifts of praise and money)......oh, sorry, got a lil'carried away. It'd be cool to have a huge group of people to celebrate with afterwards too. We could all go downtown and eat at one of the local restaurants that I have already eaten in a million times, then go bar hopping to all the bars I've already spent way too much time and money in.

I think I have just talked myself into running the Harrisburg Marathon! I guess it won't be that bad. I'll travel on the next event. My next "hill" after The Harrisburg Marathon is an amazing adventure... For my next event (supposing I survive this one) I wanna do The Jay Challenge in Jay, VT (put that on your calendar now for summer 2008). Check out the website link I posted, it looks pretty sick!

So there it is. I hope you guys can make it out to The Harrisburg Marathon (11/11/07). I put a link up to the race site so you can go in and check it out.

Thanks for sharing this with me!
SEE YA ON THE HILL
Michael

No comments: