Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Assuming you know your own limits is like kissing your sister

I know, I know...the title is kinda weird, but I'm stretchin' here people. I try to make these posts somewhat interesting for you people to read. I try to give you guys something worthwhile, something of substance, and hopefully, something that will make you sit back in your chairs and think on for at least 2 minutes.

Anyway, as I begin my summer of running, I find myself having to redefine my motivations for the training that I will have to do in order to not only run another marathon, but to improve upon my first marathon time (5:04). Last summer, it was personal, it was about doing the impossible, setting that bar sooooo far above what I felt was realistic, a desire to achieve something I never thought I would have even wanted to try....

Based on my own assumptions regarding my limits, I did the impossible and I reached the bar.....so now what? My motivation this time around is simple: do it and do it better than before. Last summer, I assumed my limit was 26.2 miles (actually, I assumed it would be somewhere around 24 miles and I have to just gut out the last 2.2 miles). I was wrong. I'm glad I didn't think my limit was something like only 13 miles cuz I never would have ever gone to Chicago and I would have never run the marathon. NEW PHILOSOPHY: I don't ever want to assume my own limits...I think from now on, I'd rather know that whatever I'm going to do, I'm gonna do it "BALLSOUT," "balls to the wall," as great as I can do it. After I'm done, I'll sit back and look at what I did and analyze whether I reached my limit or not. I don't wanna propose to know what I am capable of cuz I proved to myself on October 22, 2007....that I know NOTHING of what my own limits may be.

Wouldn't it be great if we all just gave up on putting limits on ourselves and decided to shoot for the stars?! How creative and over-achieving would we be in life? WOW! I think I may be the smartest man alive!

Anyway, I've been running up a storm lately. Friday, I ran 4 miles in under 40 minutes (that was my long-run for the week which is not really meant to be timed or paced out but I still try to stay under 10 minutes per mile). Saturday, I did 3 miles then took Sunday off (not really cuz I played a baseball game on Sunday). Monday morning, I ran 3 miles and then around 6PM, I did a short 2 mile speed session with my boy Mike "the animal" Knill. We did the first mile at an 8:30 pace then did Fartliks for the 2nd mile. (Ha ha, funny name, I know) Fartlik workouts are a form of speed workouts where you run for a prescribed amount of time (ours was 30 sec) at about 75% speed, then slow to a jog for 1 minute, then back up to 75% for 30 seconds then back to the jog. We did that for the last mile. Needless to say, doing the speed workout 6 hours after my morning 3 miles, I was gassed....but it felt good to just all out sprint. I took off Tuesday (well, actually, I worked on the baseball field at Middletown for about 3 hours then threw batting practice for an hour before our game). Today, I went out and ran 4 miles. I think tomorrow I'll drop down to 3 miles and then do 5 on Friday. I'm gonna try and make my long runs every Friday so I can have my off day on Saturday (and recover from the long run)and still be kinda fresh for my baseball games on Sundays. Last summer, I did my long runs on Saturday (which maxed out at 22 miles) and then turned around and played a double header on Sunday......NOT MUCH FUN FOR THE KNEES!

Anyway, that's all for this time! Lemme know if you ever wanna go for a run with me! Jus' gimme a call and we'll find a time and place!
Thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing this with me!
SEE YA ON THE HILL!
Michael

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey txt me the details for the H-burg marathon if u want some younguns cheering for u!!