Monday, May 14, 2007

Pre-marathon training

Good morning! This will be my 2nd post on this new blog. I'll try to keep this updated (at least) on a weekly basis. If you read the first post, you'd know that I am planning on running either the New York City Marathon or the Harrisburg/Hershey Marathon. The 2 events are only a week apart so training for one verses the other wouldn't be any different.

After my (as he put it) inspirational trek to Chicago emails, my good friend Jesse Woodrow was moved to decide to run a marathon this year. He is planning to run the Harrisburg/Hershey event so he and I have decided to train together this summer. It's good for him cuz it'll be his first marathon and so he'll get to learn everything I went through last summer and all the stuff I learned along the way. It's also good for me because having someone to run and lift with offers a little more motivation than going through the training alone (like I did last year).

Anyway, If any of you are interested in running this summer (maybe even running a fall marathon), lemme know (Harrisburg also has a half0marathon event in Sept). Maybe we can all get together and train as a group. Jesse and I started a "pre-training" phase last week. The actual marathon training program we are going to use is a total of 18 weeks. It has 3 phases: strength (getting the body ready for daily running), endurance (getting the body ready to handle the pounding of 3-4 hours of running), and taper (resting the body so you enter the race rested and recovered). The "pre-traning" phase isn't an actual phase, but it's the time before you begin the actual training. During this stage, it's all about preparing your body for the amount of training you'll be doing during the 18 weeks of training. Right now, we are doing low mileage 3 days a week (mon, tues, wed), lifting 2 days (mon, wed), 1 speed training session a week (tues), and 1 longer run on friday. The lengths of short runs range from 1-4 miles and the longs run max out at 10 miles a week before the real training starts. (sometime in July). I think this "pre-training" will give us a very strong fitness foundation and alleviate a lot of the pain you go through during the first couple of weeks. Last year (some of you who may have seen me early on in my training may remember), I was soooo sore the first couple of weeks because my body wasn't ready for the 3 or 4 days in a row of running. I plan on being better prepared this time around.

I'm still gathering info on what Diabetes Foundation I will support as well as working with my good friend (and computer wizard) Jacob on getting some stuff set up on this blog. I wanna make donating via internet possible (so you guys can help me raise some money for a worthy cause), add some music (maybe some Marley or something chillin' like that), and maybe a picture or 2 (for all the single ladies out there).

I hope you all are well. Thanks for checking in on me! Lemme know if there's anything I should add to this blog.

As always, thanks for experiencing this with me (again).

SEE YA ON THE HILL!!!
Michael

4 comments:

The Browers said...

I too was/am inspired by your post, but my ass was not. Therefore, I shall cheer you on via email/text, and keep growing wider! Go MIKE! ha

Michael Williams said...

Gee, thanks Jam. Now other people are going to read that you called me "Mike" and start doing the same thing....before ya know it, EVERYONE will be calling me "Mike." Thanks Jam....such true friendship is hard to come by.

Anonymous said...

O by the way remembering you all tired and hurting really bad last year ya not such a good way to get people to run! But I am still hoping to run a 5k in college sometime when I have a gym available to me and I get rid of the nick name splints but way to inspire!! haha by the way cool blog I really like it!

Michael Williams said...

true, being sore was tough, but being sore from running longer and longer distances was great! I was sore from busting my butt...that should be inspirational. That sore is the best sore you can have....sore from pushing your limits.