Monday, August 20, 2007

It always comes back to The Wonder Years

I love the old TV "The Wonder Years!" You guys remember that show with Fred Savage (as Kevin Arnold), Danica McKellar (as Winnie Cooper), and Josh Saviano (as Paul Pfieffer)? I think the reason I love The Wonder Years so much is because that show came out when Kevin Arnold started 6th grade...that was the same year I started 6th grade. Anyway, I feel like I kinda grew up with that show and it strikes a very real chord with me. I still try to watch the back-to-back episodes every week night on Ion Television from 10-11PM. I just finished watching it and so I'm feeling kinda sentimental tonight for this week's post.......

As much as I write in my posts about my determination to push myself and my desire to live a life full of passion...I never write about where that stuff came from. As tonight's 2nd episode came to close, a montage of past episodes came across the screen with that light acoustic guitar in the background and the narrator's voice talking about friends and family, time moving on, memories, and how all that stuff sticks with you. I thought I'd talk about that tonight.

Throughout the course of my life, I have been blessed with an unbelievably supportive network of family and friends. I never had someone telling me I wasn't good enough to do something, or that I what I wanted to do was impossible for me. I wrote a paper about it in college. I think I came across as arrogant, but my intent was to show that the environment in which I grew up was one of possibility, positivity, and willingness. It was that environment that made me feel like I could do anything.

I look at my entire family (who has been with me since the beginning) and I look at how it always supported me. When it comes to family, the support of my mom and dad go without saying, but my mom and grandpa coached my tee ball team, my grandma used to come and travel to many of my gymnastics meets...all my life, my family has told me that I am capable of doing the things I set out to do. I look at my school friends (I didn't really hang out with too many kids from Middletown but the few that I did were so important to me. I had guys I played sports with (Reed, Dice, OG, Blazi, Mupes, Matty G)were always so positive that they made me believe I could succeed all the time. I also hung out (mostly) with the girls (as I am sure many of you are NOT at all surprised). These girls (KT, Keri, Liz, Keefer, Whistler, Jen) were girls that made me feel very comfortable talking about what I wanted to do with my life, what I wanted to be, where I wanted to go, etc and they never laughed at what I told them! They, too, were always super supportive! Then there was my youth group friends (Jam, Court, E, T, Diadato, Bicker, Budge) and they made me feel like I had a place and friends that I could lean on and ask for help if needed. That was a HUGE confidence builder.

Ya see, I look back at the people I had around me, pushing me, enabling me, supporting me...and I know I would not be where I am (or the person I am) today without all of their love, support, and understanding. Growing up in that environment gave me the confidence to get through physical therapy after knee surgery, to go all the way to Florida for my college education, to teach in Baltimore, to leave teaching for Youth Ministry, to turn down a full-time teaching position to follow an opportunity to become a college baseball coach....the list goes on and on with examples of the empowering effect the love and support my friends and family have had in my life.

I see where I am now, I look at the things I am doing, and at those around me (now and the not-so-distant past) (Chard, Molli, Knill, Schiavoni, Chaz, J Wood, Jackson, JJ, Shifflett, Kelly K, Class) and recognize how they all make/made me feel empowered to continue to try new and different things, feeling secure in knowing that if I do indeed fail, I have a huge network of friends (old and new) and family to catch me...

What a great feeling! This post may have bored you, but I guess it was my turn to tell some people how much they have meant to me. I thank you all for helping to build me in to me and instilling in me the confidence to go out and make the most out of this life (for which I am totally not deserving but only through His grace).

Thanks for reading
SEE YA ON THE HILL!
Michael

No comments: